Ardee Mills

The mill was not only an essential element in the economy of any manor but was also a source of considerable profit to the lord who owned it. For that reason lords were careful to see that there was no erosion of their milling rights.

Read More

Part 1: The Keppock family and Cromwellian Confiscations

In 1641 the Keppock estate contained 509 Irish acres, plantation measure – but it is to be noticed that the Down Survey generally stated the contents as less by about one-seventh than the actual measurement – so that the Keppocks must have owned almost 600 of our modern Irish acres. The estate lay chiefly in Baltrasna, Great Lough (now Broad Lough), Mulladrillen, Rathgory, and the town of Ardee.

Read More

The Grave of Ferdia

They met at the place now called Ath Ferdia, within 80 perches off Ardee to the west where an engagement took place between them. Cuchulain then gave Fear-dhiadh a mortal wound with the Gae bulga of which he immediately died: whence the ford is called Ath Ferdiad and the town Baile Ata Ferdiad.

Read More

Rebellion and the Battle of the Boyne

The Irish army of King James II, after leaving Dundalk, made Ardee their headquarters for a time in 1689, the artillery bastion may have been constructed in anticipation of an encounter with the Williamites. However, on the approach of William’s forces in the autumn before the battle of the Boyne, James II and his army retreated to Drogheda.

Read More